What it took for two pizzas:
for the dough:
- 1 (1/4th oz) packet dry active yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
for the calamari:
1 pound calamari rings
3 cups favorite seafood batter mix (or a mix of flour, cayenne, salt and pepper), divided
1 cup of beer
4 cups canola oil
- 1 cup favorite pizza sauce
- a good handful sliced pepperoncini (banana peppers)
- 3 cups shredded fresh mozzarella (or a block is fine)
- minced parsley
- 1 lemon, zeste
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 2 tsp juice from the pepperoncini jar
- Start your dough. Pour the warm water into a large bowl and add the yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes until it gets bubbly. Whisk in the sugar, salt and oil. Then add the two cups of flour. Mix until you get a soft gooey ball of dough. Remove the ball of dough from the bowl, wipe it out, place it back and brush with a little bit of olive oil. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let sit for an hour, until doubled in size.
- While the dough rests, start on your calamari. Bring the oil to a pipin’ 350 degrees in a straight-sided pan.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the batter mix with the 1 cup of beer. Place the rest of the batter mix in another shallow dish. In a few small batches dredge the calamari rings through the beer batter, shake off any excess goo, then toss them around in the remaining dry mix.
- Fry in batches until golden brown, draining on a plate with paper towels.
- Preheat your oven to 400. Stick a pizza stone in there if you have one!
- Divide the pizza dough into two balls and roll them out until you get a good 9 or 10-inch pizza. I can’t ever get mine round. I’m okay with it though. I’m rustic. Right? Never mind.
- Spoon as much sauce as you like over each crust. Follow with a scattering of banana peppers and mozzarella cheese. Slide into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, allowing the crust to brown and the cheese to bubble up with glory.
- While the pizza is baking, mix together the yogurt, hot sauce and pepperoncini juice.
- Remove from the oven and top with fried calamari, a healthy drizzle of the cream sauce, minced parsley and lemon zest. Serve with lemon wedges and get.on.that.already.